Text not appearing in Chrome after WordPress update

Text not displaying in Chrome
Text has not been displaying in Chrome since my website update to the newest WordPress version.

I noticed that my website (http://bisdak.org) views suddenly dwindled the past few days. Checking my site, I was surprised that the text content is not appearing on my front page.

I tried browsing through WordPress forums to look for similar cases and the corresponding solution but the recommendations required so many lines of code. Most posts point to a problem in Chrome wherein fonts are not displayed or rendered properly. So I guess the solutions were too complex for what I deemed a minor issue.

Other sites that I managed were displaying text well so the problem may also be due to my currentĀ theme, Masonic. Found out that the theme is using non-native web fonts:

font-family: Monaco, Consolas, “Andale Mono”, “DejaVu Sans Mono”, monospace;

So, I simply tried adding a web-safe font, serif. Voila! The problem was fixed.

font-family: Monaco, Consolas, “Andale Mono”, “DejaVu Sans Mono”, monospace, serif;

Fixed display problem
Happily fixed my ‘content not displaying’ problem.

Heed theĀ advice from w3schools.com,

“The font-family property should hold several font names as a “fallback” system, to ensure maximum compatibility between browsers/operating systems. If the browser does not support the first font, it tries the next font.

Start with the font you want, and end with a generic family, to let the browser pick a similar font in the generic family, if no other fonts are available…”

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Leave a Reply